These photographs were donated to the York County Library by members of the White Family. They are of sites within Rock Hill such as Glencairn Garden or the PIX Theater, of family members such as James Spratt White, and of events such as the Peace Parade which honored Rock Hill area World War II Veterans.
George Pendleton Stewart White married Anne Hutchison in December 1837. Mr. White was partner in a tailoring firm in Fort Mill. Forced to move to the “country” for health reasons, the Whites bought 180 acres and a cabin off Nations Ford Road. The farm land was purchased from Alexander Templeton Black. When the couple’s first child was born in 1838, the need to replace the cabin as a dwelling place was evident. The home that stands at the current corner of White Street and Elizabeth Lane in downtown Rock Hill was completed in 1839.
For more information on the house and a brief family history go to http://historicrockhill.com/whitehome/.