During the late 1920s through the mid-40s, the city of York was winter home to several circuses. One was the Barnett Brothers (originally the Ray Rogers circus). It originated in Canada. The name was changed to Barnett Bros in 1933. The show eventually moved to the U.S. and wintered in York, S.C. The title of the show was changed to Wallace Bros, in 1940. The Bennett Brothers Circus also wintered here. They used the time off the road to train and to design new shows. The Barnett Brothers occupied the block bounded by E. Jefferson and Trinity Streets.