York County Schools Collection
This collection of photographs was donated to the York County Library from the SC Department of Education. It contains photographs of the county schools that were taken for insurance purposes. Additional photographs are on the SC Archives website and may be viewed by going to: www.archivesindex.sc.gov/onlinearchives/. A search screen should display. For Record Group click on the drop down menu and select “School Insurance Photographs 1935-1952”. In the Location box type “York”. From the options select “York County”. Then click on Search.
York County settlers valued an education to prepare for college or to be able to read the Scriptures. The SC General Assembly granted Ebenezer Academy corporate status in 1821. There is evidence that the school existed prior to that as Job Nelson was hired as principal in 1819. The school building was the second public building constructed in Ebenezerville. The school remained a private institution until the 1880s when the Rock Hill schools were organized. There were two early public schools – Rock Hill Academy (1854-88) which was primarily for boys. It was also known as Pine Grove Academy for its location. There was Pineopolis Academy for girls begun in 1875. During the late 1880s there were two schools operated for black children, one by the Hermon Presbyterian Church and one by the Episcopal Church. The need for a public graded school was recognized in 1886 and fund raising efforts began. By 1901 there were 38 school districts in York County with 102 facilities.